♦ Old Town Hall (Conservatory) ♦ Municipal Historical Archive ♦ Hospital of Santiago ♦ Casas del Consul Hotel ♦ Palacio de Úbeda Hotel ♦ Church of the Santísima Trinidad ♦ Church of San Lorenzo ♦ Church of San Nicolás de Bari ♦ Church of Santa María de los Reales Alcázares ♦ Museum of San Juan de la Cruz ♦ Palace of the Medinilla ♦ Palace of Don Luis de la Cueva ♦ Parador Nacional de Turismo (old palace of the Dean Ortega) ♦ Sacred Chapel of de El Salvador ♦ Water synagogue (Sinagoga del Agua) ♦ Ideal Cinema Theatre ♦
Old Town Hall (Conservatory)
This venue was the headquarter of the old Town Hall; nowadays, it is used as a conservatory of music. It is located at Mercado square (Plaza del Mercado) and is distinguished by its double arcaded gallery and its style based on Italian Renaissance models. Attention should be drawn to its magnificent sun clock (1604), its balcony —from which the chapter members attended the events celebrated at the square— and its figures of San Miguel Arcángel and San Juan de la Cruz on the lateral buttresses niches.
Municipal Historical Archive
This is a room with Mudéjar artwork placed on the third floor of the Juan Vázquez de Molina Palace (nowadays, the Town Hall), following the model of the Renaissance palace. It was built according to Andrés de Vandelvira’s project between 1562 and 1568. Notarial documents from the sixteenth and the seventeenth centuries can be seen at the room occupied by the Archive
Hospital of Santiago, Auditorium (main venue)
Following Andrés de Vandelvira’s project, the Hospital of Santiago was built between 1562 and 1576 under the patronage of Diego de los Cobos, Bishop of Jaén. The project included a hospital for the poor, church, palace and pantheon. In 1917 it was declared National Historical Architectural Landmark (Monumento Arquitectónico Histórico-Nacional). The auditorium is located at the chapel, which is distinguished by its frescos of classical theme and its wooden altarpiece.
Hospital of Santiago, high gallery
The Hospital of Santiago, which was Andrés Vandelvira’s last architectural project, includes a large two-floor patio. On the upper floor a gallery with columns and large windows facing the central patio can be found.
Hospital of Santiago, Juan Esteban room
Nowadays, the Hospital of Santiago is used as a space for the celebration of cultural events, such as exhibitions, concerts, and conferences. These events take place in spaces such as the Juan Esteban room, which is named after Juan Esteban de Medina, who was the most important painter in seventeenth-century Úbeda.
Hospital of Santiago, Painter Elbo room
Another of the seven rooms with different capacities of the Hospital of Santiago for the celebration of cultural events is the Painter Elbo room, named after José Elbo Peñuelas (1804-1844), a Romantic painter from Úbeda. This space is usually used as exhibition room.
Casas del Consul Hotel
This stately home dates from the sixteenth century. It is located next to the medieval wall and works as a hotel nowadays. It is distinguished by a beautiful covered central patio, surrounded by four stone columns and to arches over the stairs, and includes exquisite classical ornaments and a very valuable wooden structure.
Palacio de Úbeda Hotel
This hotel is located at the Palace of the counts of Guadiana. The main part of the building was commissioned by Andrés de Ortega, lord of the Alicún, in the 1590s. It worked as a Carmelite school, and was named after the descendants of Lope de la Cueva y Guzmán, I Count of Guadiana, to whom the palace belonged from 1711.
Church of the Santísima Trinidad
This Baroque building includes two doors with representations of the Santísima Trinidad and San Juan de Mata, respectively. The indoor space is structured into three naves. It dates from the thirteenth century and was rebuilt several times over the centuries. In 1516, the Commander Pedro Vela, who was the patron of this church, chose its major chapel as burial setting.
Church of San Lorenzo
This church was built in the thirteenth century, after the Christian conquest of Úbeda. It is located in a space adjacent to the south wall of the town. Noble families were adding funerary chapels to the church and, in the fifteen century, a linteled door was built. This space has been recovered for the celebration of cultural events by the Huerta de San Antonio Foundation.
Church of San Nicolás de Bari
This National Monument, built between the fourteenth and the sixteenth centuries thanks to Diego de los Cobos’s patronage, brings together Gothic and Renaissance elements. For instance, it has Gothic and Renaissance doors, the latter projected by Andrés de Vandelvira. The polygonal-shaped head dated from the second half of the fourteenth century.
Church of San Pablo
This church is located at the Plaza del Mercado (Market Square), where the town council met until the fifteenth century. The building has a floor plan with three naves covered by wood. Although it was built in several stages, its style is mainly Gothic. The renovation planned by the Bishop Alonso Suárez de la Fuente del Sauce during the Renaissance period should be highlighted.
Church of Santa María de los Reales Alcázares
This National Monument, which was an old collegiate church, is considered to be the main church of Úbeda. It was built between the thirteenth and the nineteenth centuries. Consequently, it combines Gothic, Mudéjar, Renaissance, Baroque, and neo-Gothic styles. Its Renaissance door was built between 1510 and 1645, following models by both Pedro de Vera and, later on, Luis de Zayas.
The Archaeological Museum in Úbeda was inaugurated in 1973 as a Section of the Museum of Jaén. It is located in a Mudéjar house which was discovered in 1964. The rooms of the house are distributed around a central courtyard which includes four open galleries. Elements from other houses in Úbeda, such as the entrance door, were also added to the Mudéjar building.
Museum of San Juan de la Cruz (Carmelites)
Juan de la Cruz lived at the Carmelite convent in Úbeda between September 1595 and his death in December that year. This museum was inaugurated in 1978, including relics and other objects related to the saint, as well as a specialized library, which contains San Juan de la Cruz’s autograph letters and editions of his works from the first one in 1618, among other documents.
Palace of the Medinilla
This is a palace built around 1560 at the request of Anguis Medinilla, a doctor. Following the model of the Renaissance palace, the building is arranged around a central courtyard with columns. Its door is divided into two bodies and combines Renaissance and Baroque elements. Nowadays, it is used as a venue for wedding celebrations.
Palace of Don Luis de la Cueva
The Palace of Don Luis de la Cueva is a fifteenth-century manor house belonging to the Cueva’s family. It includes a Mudéjar courtyard and a sober door which dates from the seventeenth century and contains the family’s coats of arms.
Parador Nacional de Turismo (old palace of the Dean Ortega)
The Parador Nacional de Turismo in Úbeda is located in a palace dated in the mid-sixteenth century. The building was commissioned by Fernando Ortega Salido, Dean of Málaga Cathedral. Andrés de Vandelvira was the main architect of the work. From 1929, the building hosts the Parador Nacional de Turismo, which is one of the oldest in Spain.
Sacred Chapel of de El Salvador
Francisco de los Cobos, Emperor Charles V’s secretary, commissioned the creation of this building in 1536 as pantheon next to his palace. Diego de Siloé was the person in charge of the initial project, followed by Andrés de Vandelvira from 1540. The palace was declared Historic Artistic Monument in 1931.
Water synagogue (Sinagoga del Agua)
This Jewish synagogue, dated before the fourteenth century, is structured into six rooms, which present Muslim, Christian, and Jewish elements. One of its rooms was the residence of the inquisitor after the expulsion of the Jews from Úbeda. It is worth to mention its mikveh or space dedicated to the ritual baths of purification, and its seven interconnected wells.
Ideal Cinema Theatre
This theatre was built by the architect Horacio Bernales and inaugurated as Rey Alfonso Theatre in 1926. Five years later, in 1931, its owners, Francisco Jurado Ruiz and Cristóbal Herrador, gave it its current name. It is used as a venue for several cycles of theatre celebrated in Úbeda.