♦ Alcalá La Real ♦ Alcaudete ♦ Andújar ♦ Baños de la Encina ♦ Beas de Segura ♦ Canena ♦ Cazorla ♦ Guarromán ♦ Huelma ♦ Iznatoraf ♦ Jaén ♦ La Carolina ♦ La Guardia ♦ Linares ♦ Mancha Real ♦ Martos ♦ Orcera ♦ Rus ♦ Sabiote ♦ Santa Elena ♦ Segura de la Sierra ♦ Villacarrillo ♦
El Ciclo Vandelvira supone la extensión provincial del FeMAUB y se desarrolla en numerosos espacios distribuidos en diversas localidades de la provincia de Jaén.
Alcalá La Real
Capuchins’ Aula Magna (great hall)
The Capuchin convent in Alcalá la Real was built in the middle of the seventeenth century. Its façade combines the original Renaissance one, with a double stairs and windows. Its church has one nave. Currently, it holds the Municipal Archive and Library.
Abbey Palace of La Mota, assembly hall
This palace forms part, along with the Church of Santa María la Mayor, of the monumental complex of La Mota fortress, dated from the Nazarí period (twelfth to fourteenth century) although also contains older elements. Over the course of the centuries it was one of the main defensive positions in the Kingdom of Castile against the Nazarí Kingdom of Granada. In 1931 it was declared Historic Artistic Monument.
Martínez Montañés Theatre
The Martínez Montañés Theatre is located in Alcalá la Real. It has a total capacity of 315 seats and a large stage. It was named after Juan Martínez Montañés (1568-1649), a Renaissance sculptor who was born in Alcalá la Real and is recognized as an important representative of the Seville imagery school.
Church of the Consolación
The Church of the Consolación is the main church in Alcalá la Real and seat of the parish of Santa María la Mayor. It was founded by friars of the Third Order regular of Saint Francis at the beginning of the sixteenth century and its construction process was extended to the end of the eighteenth century, combining architectonical style from the Renaissance and the Baroque. The patroness saint of the city, the Virgin of the Mercedes, can be found at this church.
Castle, Chapter room
The Alcaudete castle has its origin in a Roman fortress. It was built by the Muslims and finally conquered by the Christians during the reign of Ferdinand III, who ceded it to the Order of Calatrava.
Church of Santa María
Located at the foot of the Alcaudete castle, it is considered that the construction of this church began at the end of the fifteenth century. It has a three-nave layout and three floors. The church received Renaissance contributions, such as the door of Santa María, the major chapel, and some works carried out by Andrés de Vandelvira.
Church of the Carmen (Carmelite)
The convent of the Encarnación in Alcaudete was founded in 1590. From the original building, only the church is preserved. It was commissioned by Francisco de Córdoba y Velasco, IV Count of Alcaudete. In a mannerist style, the church has one-nave layout and three lateral chapels. Among the images that the church holds, that of San Elías, attributed to Pedro de Mena, must be highlighted due to its artistic importance.
Sanctuary of the Fuensanta
The Sanctuary of Our Lady of the Fuensanta is located at a local park with the same name. It was built by architect Francisco López Rivera and received the blessing of bishop Romero Mengíbar in 1963. This sanctuary is a result of the devotion to the saint patroness of Alcaudete, the Virgin of the Fuensanta. This cult dates back to the Middle Ages and resulted in the building of an hermitage in 1511.
Church of Santa María
The construction of this church began in 1467 and has Gothic style in its origin, with a three-nave layout and ribbed vault at the foot. The construction of the tower began in the sixteenth century. From 1559, Francisco del Castillo El Mozo transformed the Gothic interior into a “templo de salón” or Hallenkirche. Attention should be drawn to the chapel of Luis de Valdivia of 1578, which includes the Greco’s La oración en el huerto.
Sanctuary of Nuestra Señora de la Cabeza
The construction of the old hermitage of Nuestra Señora de la Cabeza dates from the thirteenth century. It was transformed into a sanctuary in the sixteenth century. The image of the Virgen de la Cabeza located in the side-chapel (camarín) was created by José Navas Parejo. It is worth to stand out its sixteenth-century grille, which separates the major chapter and the central nave, as well as the choir organ, which was inaugurated by Jesús Guridi.
Baños de la Encina
Church of San Mateo
The construction of the parish church of San Mateo began in the last third of the thirteenth century. Its layout and lateral door has Gothic style. The main door has mannerist style and was built in 1576. The tower was inspired in Vandelvira’s work.
Beas de Segura
Discalced Carmelite Convent
The Discalced Carmelite convent in Beas de Segura was founded by Teresa of Ávila herself in 1575, being the first convent founded by the saint in Andalusia. It is distinguished by its seventeenth-century door and Saint Teresa’s cell.
Castle, Ball room
Canena castle belonged to Francisco de los Cobos, who had bought the town and transformed the old castle into a sumptuous Renaissance palace projected by Andrés de Vandelvira. This castle is mentioned by the marquis of Santillana. It was surrounded by a moat under a drawbridge.
Courtyard of the Town Hall
The Town Hall forms part of an architectural complex that in the sixteenth century compounded the house of the Merced (church and convent). The Town Hall occupies the convent space and preserves its original square layout with a central courtyard. It includes two sets of arches of solid brick.
Theatre of the Merced
As the Town Hall, the theatre forms part of the architectural complex that in the sixteenth century compounded the house of the Merced. The theatre is located in the area of the original church, with rectangular base and central nave covered by half-barrel vaults with transversal arches on columns.
Granary (current Library)
The granary is an emblematic building in Guarromán. It was guilt in the eighteenth century with ashlars of sandstone, following the typical style of the New Settlements (Nuevas Poblaciones) of Sierra Morena. It was used as a wheat warehouse and currently holds the municipal library.
Church of the Concepción
Diego de Siloé, Francisco del Castillo el Viejo, Andrés de Vandelvira, and Francisco del Castillo el Joven, among others, participated in the construction of this sixteenth-century building. The interior of the church is one of the richest of the province, and is divided into three naves with six cross-shaped single columns and the groin vaults that are characteristic of Vandelvira.
Parish church of the Asunción
The Parish church of the Asunción was built between 1583 and 1602 on a Muslim enclave. The design of the building was directed by Alonso Barba, a disciple of Andrés de Vandelvira. It presents an almost square layout, with three naves divided by four pillars. Its Baroque choir stalls should be highlighted.
Chapel of the old hospital of San Juan de Dios (Instituto de Estudios Giennenses)
The hospital of San Juan de Dios was created in the fifteenth century, becoming the main assistance institution in Jaén. Its installations were moved to the Centro Hospitalario Princesa Sofía de España in 1973 and, in 1992, the building was restored and became the seat of the Instituto de Estudios Giennenses. Its Renaissance patio should be noted, surrounded by the hall, the archive and the library of the institute.
The choir of Jaén cathedral is one of the largest in the country, with 148 places as part of the stalls sculpted in walnut. It is a neo-classical style work, directed by José Gallego y Oviedo del Portal between 1730 and 1736, which holds the tombs of numerous bishops.
This sacristy was designed by Andrés de Vandelvira and is considered to be one of the most original of the Renaissance at a national level, due to the solutions with regard to light and space through the composition of columns and arches. It holds an Ecce homo also sculpted by Vandelvira.
Arab Baths Cultural Centre, Courtyard
The Arab Baths, which date from the eleventh century, are located at the cellar of the Palace of Villardompardo. They are probably the largest baths (450 square meters) that can be visited in Spain. The baths kept partially hidden when Fernando de Torres y Portugal, Count of Villardompardo and Viceroy of Perú, built his Renaissance palace.
Church of San Ildefonso
This church is located at the square with the same name. It is in this church where Vandelvira’s remains are preserved. It contains three doors of different styles, from Gothic to neoclassical. It is distinguished by its altarpiece of golden wood, created by Pedro Duque Cornejo. In 2010, the church was declared “Minor basilic”.
Church of the monastery of Santa Teresa
The monastery of Santa Teresa was founded in 1615 by Francisco Palomino Ulloa and his wife Juana de Quesada. Among the houses that they donated to the monastery, there was the palace of the Cardinal Esteban Gabriel Merino, so that his coat of arms can be found on the interior door of the refectory. The monastery holds works from the convent of Carmelite nuns of Beas de Segura, as to a bell of Santa Teresa and a manuscript of San Juan de la Cruz’s Cántico espiritual.
Parish church of the Magdalena
Before the Christian conquest, this parish church was the primitive mosque of Jaén in the Islamic period. Its façade and indoor spaces present a Gothic style. Several art works are preserved in this building. Some examples are a board of “Nuestra Señora del Pilar” attributed to Pedro Machuca, the “Cristo de la Clemencia” by Salvador de Cuellar, and an image of the Magdalena created by Mateo de Medina, among others.
Saint Chapel of San Andrés
The Saint Chapel of San Andrés was built in 1515 at the request of Gutierre González Doncel, Leo X’s apostolic protonotary. Attention should be drawn to its Baroque altarpiece which includes a figure of the Immaculate dated in the eighteenth century, as well as its Gothic dome. Bartolomé de Jaén made its magnificent grille of wrought iron in the sixteenth century.
University of Jaén
The University of Jaén was founded in 1993. The most part of their centres are located on the Las Lagunillas campus. The precedents of this institution are the University of Baeza in the Modern Age, and the Estudio General de Santa Catalina, which was transformed into Pontifical University during a brief period in the seventeenth century.
Church of the Concepción
The church of the Concepción was the first religious building in La Carolina. It was inaugurated in 1578. Its tower would not be built until 1900, at the request of Victoriano Guisasola, Bishop of Jaén. Among the important figures who visited this church are Pablo de Olavide and Fray Diego de Cádiz.
Church of the Asunción (old Dominican convent)
The construction of the Dominican convent of La Guardia began in 1539, initially with Gothic style, according to a project of Domingo de Tolosa. Later Andrés de Vandelvira, who worked on this building during 26 years, would give a Renaissance style to the work. The project would pass to Francisco del Castillo El Mozo. The convent, dedicated to María Magdalena, was transformed into parish church after the Civil War.
Church of the Coronada
Built in the second half of the thirteenth century, the church of Nuestra Señora of the Coronada is distinguished by its door with a lowered arch with horseshoe over which a coat of arms is found.
Basilica of Santa María la Mayor
This basilica was built on an old mosque and combines Gothic and Renaissance elements. It was designed by Andrés de Vandelvira, Andrés de Salamanca, Juanes de Izpurrio, and Eufrasio López de Rojas. It is worth to highlight its Plateresque altarpiece formed by twenty-two mid-sixteenth century boards. The building was recognized as a basilica in 2016.
Church of San Juan Evangelista
This is the most emblematic monument of Mancha Real. It was built by Andrés de Vandelvira, Juan de Aranda, and Eufrasio López de Rojas, among others, between the sixteenth and the eighteenth centuries. It is distinguished by its mannerist-style main door. The second body of the tower was designed by Ventura Rodríguez.
Church of Santa Marta
The construction of the Church of Santa Marta, on the ruins of a mosque, goes back to the thirteenth century after the conquest of the town by Ferdinand III in 1219. The church is consecrated to the patroness of the town. In the sixteenth century, it was remodeled by Francisco del Castillo, who added Tuscan columns to the naves. The church was declared National Monument in 1981.
Church of the Asunción
The church of the Our Layd of the Asunción in Orcera, which was declared a National Monument, was created at the beginning of the sixteenth century. It was rebuilt in 1817 and restore in 1939. The bell tower belonged to castle previously existing in Orcera. The Renaissance doorway formed part of the convent of Santa María de la Peña.
Church of the Asunción
The church of the Asunción in Rus was built in the second half of the sixteenth century at the request of the Bishop Francisco Delgado. The project is attributed to Alonso Barba. It follows the architectural model of the works of Andrés de Vandelvira and has been declared “Bien de Interés Cultural” (Heritage of Cultural Interest).
The Sabiote castle dates from the thirtheenth century. Its current aspect corresponds to the reconstruction inspired in the Italian fortresses from the Renaissance which was carried out in the sixteenth century by Pedro de Vandelvira, at the request of Francisco de los Cobos, with the aim of transforming it into his palace and residence. It held Michelangelo’s sculpture San Juanito de Úbeda, until it was moved to the Sacred Chapel of El Salvador in Úbeda.
Church of San Pedro
The Church of San Pedro was built in four stages between 1500 and 1680. It consists of three naves divided by single columns. The original layout has been attributed to Andrés de Vandelvira, who would build the head and the first part of the work. Later, the construction was supervised by Alonso de Barba and, in 1593, Juan de Vandelvira continued with the projects. The last stage was carried out at the request of the Cardinal Baltasar Moscoso y Sandoval between 1621 and 1680.
Museum of the Battle of the Navas de Tolosa
This museum recalls the battle of the Navas de Tolosa (1212), also known in Arab as “Al-Uqab battle” (Muslim) and as the “battle of Úbeda” (Christian). In this battle the Christian tropes of Alfonso VIII of Castile and those of the Almohad caliph Muhammad an-Nasir were faced in the surroundings of Santa Elena, in the current Natural Park of Despeñaperros.
Segura de la Sierra
Church of Nuestra Señora del Collado
The Church of Nuestra Señora del Collado was built in 1815 by the Infant Francisco de Paula Antonio after being fired by Napoleon’s tropes. It consists of a rectangular nave covered by a vault and three chapels. It holds the figure in alabaster of La Virgen de la Peña, dated in the fourteenth century and considered to be of a great artistic value. Attention should be drawn to its tower, which presents a second body with bells ending in the shape of an octagonal pyramid and including an iron cross.
Church of the Asunción
Villacarrillo was the residence of the architect Andrés de Vandelvira, who work on the building of this church from 1534. It was built on an old medieval fortress. This church established some of the aspects of Vandelvira’s conception of space which he would develop on other churches. Later on, Pedro de Raxis participated in the decoration of the vaults of the central nave, and Alonso Barba contributed to the layout of the sacristy. The construction was completed in the seventeenth century.