♦ Old clerkship (Antigua Escribanía) ♦ Auditorium of San Francisco (main venue) ♦ Balcony of the Council (Balcón del Concejo) ♦ Café Teatro Central ♦ Chapel of San Juan Evangelista (old University) ♦ Cathedral ♦ High Town Hall Houses (Casas Consistoriales Altas, old conservatory “Ramos de Pareja”) ♦ Church of the Santa Cruz ♦ Church of San Pablo ♦ Church of Santa María del Alcázar and San Andrés ♦ Church of the Convent of the Encarnación ♦ Museum of the Olive Tree Culture, winery (located in the Hacienda of La Laguna) ♦ Hall (paraninfo) of the old university ♦ Montemar Theatre ♦ UNIA (old seminary of San Felipe Neri) ♦
Old clerkship (Antigua Escribanía)
Created around 1535, this building consists of two floor, devoted to the clerkship (ground floor) and to the Audience (first floor). The linteled door which leads to the first floor is decorated with five medallions with classical figures and the imperial coat of arms, that of the Corregidor Guevara, and that of Baeza. Currently, the building is used as the headquarter of the Club UNESCO of Baeza.
Auditorium of San Francisco (main venue)
The convent of San Francisco is one of the most emblematic landmarks in Baeza and was projected by Andrés de Vandelvira. Its construction began in 1538 at the request of the Benavides’s family for a community of Franciscan monks. The auditorium is located at the ruins of the major chapel of the convent, destroyed by an earthquake at the beginning of the nineteenth century.
Balcony of the Council (Balcón del Concejo)
It was built by Juan Guerrero and Mateo de Molina at the request of the Corregidor Fernando Ladrón de Guevara, who in 1684 asked the Civil Chapter to have a place from which to attend the bull festivals and the comedies. The building was inaugurated in 1701, on the occasion of the marriage between Philip V and Maria Luisa of Savoy.
Café Teatro Central
Located in a nineteenth-century stately house, this coffee shop is also an emblematic cultural space in Baeza, where concerts and gatherings are organized, and people can appreciate its sophisticated decoration.
Chapel of San Juan Evangelista (old University)
The chapel of San Juan Evangelista or of the Archdeacon Campos formed part of the university, founded in 1538. This construction was promoted in 1565 by Pedro Fernández de Córdoba, the Archdeacon Campos’s nephew. The most solemn religious events of the university take place at this chapel.
Baeza Cathedral, dedicated to the Assumption, was one of the first to be consecrated in Andalusia. It was built on a mosque in the thirteenth century or the beginning of the fourteenth century, when its western door was created. Its “forgiveness” door was created in a Gothic style. In the sixteenth century, it was transformed into a Renaissance building by Andrés de Vandelvira and Juan Bautista Villalpando, among others.
High Town Hall Houses (Casas Consistoriales Altas, old conservatory “Ramos de Pareja”)
These houses were the headquarter of Baeza Town Hall between the end of the fifteenth century and 1838. They are located in the east of Santa María square, sharing walls with Baeza Cathedral. After several decades of abandonment, the building was the seat of the Elementary Conservatory of Music “Bartolomé Ramos de Pareja” between 1991 and 2015.
Church of the Santa Cruz
The Church of the Santa Cruz, in late Romanic style, was built in the thirteenth century, being one of the few constructions in this style in eastern Andalusia. It is located opposite to the Palace of Jabalquinto and has a three-nave layout. One of its chapels holds early-sixteenth-century frescos.
Church of San Pablo
The Church of San Pablo is one of the most important parish churches in Baeza, in Gothic style. It presents a late-Renaissance door which replaces the original. This church includes an image of San Pablo, three naves and Gothic chapels. The main altarpiece, in a neo-Baroque style, replaces the Plateresque one, which was destroyed during the Civil War.
Church of Santa María del Alcázar and San Andrés
In a Plateresque style, this church was built at the request of Suárez de la Fuente del Sauce, Bishop of Jaén. In the eighteenth century, it was the seat of the collegiate church of Santa María del Alcázar. An image of San Andrés and the coat of arms of the Bishop Suárez are found on the south door. It holds an important Baroque organ from the end eighteenth century, used yearly in the FeMAUB concerts.
Church of the Convent of the Encarnación
The Convent of the Encarnación was founded in 1599 in the place occupied by the Hospital of the Encarnación. Currently, it continues to be a Discalced Carmelite convent. It holds important paintings. The church is structured into a nave, which is covered by a half-barrel vault with transverse arches, and contains a Baroque altarpiece.
Museum of the Olive Tree Culture, winery (located in the Hacienda of La Laguna)
This Museum is found in a historical cortijo located in a natural area named Laguna Grande (“Large Lagoon”) at the Puente del Obispo. It stands out as the largest museum of this type in Spain, with a surface of 4,000 square meters. Its impressive winery, which was declared an Asset of Cultural Interest, was built in 1848 and is known as the “olive oil cathedral”.
Hall (paraninfo) of the old university
The hall of the old university has a square layout and holds paintings of the Santísima Trinidad, San Juan de Ávila, the preacher Diego Pérez de Valdivia, and the founder Rodrigo López. It is accessed through the courtyard and it is distinguished by its stands and its wooden coffering.
This theatre is the main scenic space in the town of Baeza, with capacity for more than 400 people. It was remodeled in 2012 in order to incorporate the audiovisual and technological elements that are required by current spectacles.
UNIA (old seminary of San Felipe Neri), chapel
Next to the Palace of Jabalquinto, the old seminary of San Felipe Neri is one of the seats of the UNIA (International University of Andalusia) from 1990. It was founded in 1660 by the Bishop Fernando de Andrade y Castro. The chapel consists of one nave which is covered by a barrel vault with lunettes over transverse arches, pilasters and dome.
UNIA (old seminary of San Felipe Neri), courtyard
The seminary of San Felipe Neri is arranged around three courtyards. The main courtyard has set of arches and Tuscan columns. Although in 1990 the architectural complex was remodeled, changing its indoor distribution, the original configuration was respected.